Essential Gear Needed to Make Beats
Essential Core Beatmaking Gear
- What to Know About Your DAW
- All About Sounds and Instruments
- What’s Important in a MIDI Keyboard
- The Juicy Details on Audio Interfaces
- Select the Right Speaker for Your Studio
- The Audio Cables Needed for a Home Studio
- Building a Custom Computer for Music Production [INTRO]
- [1/2] Building a Custom Computer for Music Production
- [2/2] Building a Custom Computer for Music Production
[BONUS] - Studio Tools which Improve Workflow + Provide Comfort
- Multiple Monitors, Exponential Workflow
- Are Headphones Necessary in Your Home Studio
- Very Useful Adapters and Connections to Have
- Basic Overview of Microphones
- Helpful Microphone Stand Tricks
- Organized Desktop Pullout Keyboard Tray
- Subwoofer Connections Overview
- Less Gear, Less Headaches [Course Outro]
Problem with the page? - Contact me!
All About Sounds and InstrumentsGet a Full Membership - 30-Day Money Back Guarantee.
One-Hit Samples vs. Instruments/VSTs
I break the sounds we have as producers into two categories:
- One-Hit Sounds/Samples
Your one-hit sounds are your drums, claps, hi-hats, and the like.
They are what we use to build drum loops.
They are typically a single sound, which we can play however often we need throughout our pattern.
Instruments/VSTs are typically software, also known as a plugin, where we can play instrument sounds.
This can be anything from synth sounds, to basslines, pads, or even real piano and guitar sounds.
You can use an actual single-note recording of a guitar or piano, too, but requires a bit of tweaking to sound right. You also deal with pitch issues when using a real recording. Since these VSTs are digital, they are perfectly in tune, which allows you to add any type of instrument and be perfectly in tune!
There are TONS of sound packs (one-hit samples) and VSTs out there.
I’ll leave you two links of my favorite sounds/VSTs if that interests you:
My Favorite Sounds
(If you’re not yet a member, you can click here to enroll into a membership.)